Our practice areas encompass the diverse range of corporate and commercial services including but not limited to Dispute Resolution (litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution), Corporate and Commercial Law Practice, Real Estate, Mortgage and Conveyance, Corporate Governance and Compliance Practices, Corporate Financial Crime and Law Enforcement Services, Labour, Employment Law and Pension Consultancy Services, Intellectual Property, Energy (Power), Oil and Gas and Environmental Law, Financial Crime, Law Enforcement and Compliance Practices, Governance, Financial Regulation, Company Secretarial Services, Real Estate, Labour & Employment Law, Banking and Finance, Intellectual Property, Telecommunication Law and Energy, Maritime, Aviation and Transportation Law, Research, Training and Capacity Development.
We have also acted as Counsel in respect of suits instituted by law enforcement agencies across multiple jurisdictions.
Corporate and Commercial Law Practice
In the ever growing and evolving commercial sector, Alfred & Darnley’s Corporate and Commercial Group (CCG) has extensive experience in structuring complex corporate transactions coupled with our additional background in finance, economics and compliance related areas; our lawyers are poised to provide bespoke legal advisory services, outstanding agreements and innovative solutions to diverse complex commercial transactions. The CCG also has a cutting edge experience in dealing with compliance related matters that may arise from such complex transactions with regulatory experience in related fields. With offices in Lagos, Abuja and Port-Harcourt, we have direct access to all relevant regulatory bodies. The CCG has also been involved at various national government insurance committees, legal reform on issues such as re-capitalization of the banking and insurance industry and position papers on consolidation in the banking and insurance industry.
In our capacity as advisors, we represent multinational and governmental agencies in diverse corporate and commercial transactions including but not limited to:
• Banking and Finance, Credit Security and Loan restructuring;
• Asset Management and Project Financing;
• Capital Market Transactions such as corporate restructuring, schemes of arrangement, IPOS, stock exchange listings;
• Company Secretarial Services;
• Due Diligence, Mergers and Acquisition as well as other forms of Company Restructuring Schemes;
• Incorporation of Company;
• Insurance and Immigration matters; and
• Procurement/Renewal of Licenses and Permits as well as other Regulatory and Compliance issues.
Dispute Resolutions (Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution)
Alfred & Darnley has extensive litigation experience in all courts of record and in all phases of litigation involving intricate commercial disputes. Our teams of seasoned litigators provide skilled advocacy services and are involved in disputes resolution at the tribunal and appellate courts in Nigeria. We resolve intricate and complex commercial disputes by taking into consideration cost effective measures. We are currently engaged as counsel and arbitrators for various multinational companies, government parastatals and ministries at both federal and state level.
Our expertise includes but not limited to resolving issues such as trade related offences, criminal and civil commercial matters, professional bodies/tribunal related cases and human rights infringement.
Real Estate, Mortgage and Conveyance
The skilled legal team in Alfred & Darnley recognizes the economic importance of real estate in the Nigerian Economy. Consequently, we strive to achieve excellence by helping our clients steer through complex real estate transactions seamlessly and timely without compromising our integrity in the industry. We oversee real estate transactions from the preliminary stage to the conveyance stage and are also skilled in real estate financing/restructuring. We combine our in-depth knowledge of the real estate industry with legal and financial expertise to ensure that our clients are protected from commercial risks in order to achieve their objectives. Our services include but are not limited to;
•Mortgages and refinancing measures;
•Conducting search at the land registries in Nigeria, such as the Abuja Geographical Information System (AGIS) and Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA);
•Providing legal advisory services on acquisition, financing, lease and conveyance of properties, Joint ventures and constructions transactions;
• Drafting legal documentations with respect to such properties; and
• Advice, corporate investigations and due diligence.
Corporate Governance and Compliance Practices
Alfred & Darnley has developed experience in corporate governance, whilst taking into consideration the peculiar nature of the Nigerian corporate governance regulatory framework. Our team of lawyers possess the relevant knowledge required to provide various range of services aimed at ensuring the highest standards of transparency, accountability and good corporate governance, without unduly inhibiting enterprise and innovation.
Our legal advisory services cut across various regulatory frameworks such as anti-money laundering, financial regulation, company secretarial services, board advisory, compliance programs, and ethics amongst others. We routinely represent individuals, corporate entities, state owned entities and multinationals.
Corporate Financial Crime and Law Enforcement Services
Alfred & Darnley has the required expertise and provide legal advisory services on criminal and regulatory matters including but not limited to bribery and corruption, fraud and white collar crimes, tax evasion, corporate and individual misconduct, trade and economic sanctions, murder and man slaughter. We represent corporate clients, financial institutions, law enforcement agencies and multinationals across multiple jurisdictions in respect of disputes arising from contentious corporate criminal matters. We also provide legal advisory services on compliance related issues such as anti-money laundering, anti-bribery, trade and economic sanctions. We design and implement broad based compliance programs, advice on internal policies, internal control and corporate governance.
Labour, Employment Law and Pension Consultancy Services
With a team of legal practitioners experienced in labour related matters, Alfred & Darnley is poised to proffer expert advice and opinion. We also represent our clients effectively at the National Industrial Court in respect of all issues arising from their employment.
Our services include but are not limited to:
• Review of legal documentation involving conditions of service, staff negotiations and contract of employments
• Representation of clients in the National Industrial Court in issues relating to labour union disputes, negotiations and contracts, unlawful dismissal of employees, benefit claim, and other employment related cases, including arbitration and tribunals hearings;
• Provision of legal advisory services and liaising with regulatory bodies such as PENCOM on compliance issues, pension schemes and all other matters connected to pension administration;
• Advising pension administrators on new and emerging legal compliance and financial issues;
• Resolving complex or controversial issues that may arise between companies, individuals and pension administrators on issues such as pension claims through Alternative Dispute Resolution measures.
The Intellectual Property team consists of experienced and seasoned practitioners with expertise in utilizing and enforcing intellectual property rights. We ensure that our client’s intellectual rights are safeguarded. As licensed and registered practitioners with the Nigerian Trade Mark Commission, we have an existing relationship with the regulatory agency. We provide full range Intellectual Property legal services which include but not limited to:
• Filing Patent and Trade mark application;
• Conducting Trademark searches;
• Brand copyright protection;
• Domain name registration;
• Product diversion;
• Product tempering/counterfeiting;
• Cross border counterfeiting investigation;
• Enforcement procedure guide/advice;
• Market sample/survey;
• Regulatory advice on Intellectual property rights.
• Representation of clients in litigation matters involving contentious and non-contentious issues arising from intellectual property;
• Drafting of legal documentation relating to transactions involving intellectual property;
Energy (Power), Oil and Gas and Environmental Law
We have a team of seasoned practitioners in the oil and gas sector. Our office in Port Harcourt brings the firm’s service closer to stakeholders such as multinationals and the regulators in the oil and gas industry
Our expertise includes;
• Corporate due diligence / investigation;
• Drafting and reviewing of contractual agreement inclusive of Joint Venture Agreements;
• Involved in mediation / out of court settlement between the host communities and our client through our community relations methods
• Rendering legal advice on Energy development, construction of plants and other transactions with different consortium of energy experts;
• Community relations;
• Regulatory advisory services
• Providing legal advisory services on procurement of licenses on behalf of clients.
Telecommunication/Information Technology Communication
Considering the demands placed on today’s professionals to be well rounded in every area, our lawyers provide legal advisory services to major telecommunication giants in the Nigerian Industry such as:
• Review of legal documentation relating to contracts, commercial transactions and compliance related issues in the industry;
• Negotiations of contract terms;
• Legal advisory on legal framework, environmental and regulatory approvals.
Maritime, Aviation and Transportation Law
Alfred & Darnley provides routine advisory services and represent our clients in all areas of transportation including;
• Admiralty Law;
• Concession Agreements;
• Financing and leasing of ships and aircrafts
• International Carriage of Goods;
• Liabilities, insurance and claims;
• Maritime and Commercial Contracts;
• Registration and Ship Management Agreements;
In addition to the above, the firm also has substantial experience performing detailed transactions with regional, national and multi-national passenger airlines, cargo carriers, air charter general aviation and commercial airport operators, airport concessionaires, corporate aircraft owners and flight departments, fixed base operators, maintenance and repair stations, and multiple state, and federal government regulatory agencies. We have also has accumulated transaction experience in a number of industries affiliated with aviation including business, banking, and financial services, warehousing, distribution and logistics.
Research, Training and Capacity Development
Alfred & Darnley contributes to good governance and best practice through workshops/Training, seminars, Policy advice, legal opinions and draft position papers, symposia. Practitioners from the firm have acted as resource persons at seminars on topical issues such as public private partnership, electoral reform in strengthening democratic process, public sector reform, legislative reform and training, research into constitutional amendment, drafting position papers, economic governance etc.
C18, Maina Court, 252, Herbert
Central Business District,
Stay up to date with our awesome newsletter about
Alfred & Darnley is a full service law firm providing a range of services to national and foreign clients in sundry industries and establishments.
Our offices are located in the main commercial center of the country; Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt thereby making our services accessible to our diverse range of clients and regulatory agencies.
© 2015 Alfred & Darnley . All rights reserved.